How to Master Purification & Perfect Wellness
Here are WAYS TO DETOXIFY your body and mind in the short- and long-term given that we are often exposed to toxic foods, water, air, stimuli, and thought patterns. The key to remaining healthy and in balance is to understand that what we do, think, and feel changes our gene expression for better or worse.
Become well-informed and commit to making the changes in your diet, habits, ethics, mindset, behavior, etc. Neuroscientist and master yogi, Ram, has mastered how to do this and live stress- and disease-free. So can you, by learning the steps to achieve radiant health, balance, and supreme peace, even when in the midst of a busy and productive daily, western lifestyle.
- Eat more raw fruits and vegetables grown in organic and healthy soil where good bacteria for our gut comes from. If you want to, supplement with vegan probiotic like kombucha. Research shows that probiotics help to break down foods (i.e. gluten and casein) or chemicals (i.e. BPA and pesticides) that hurt our bodies.
- Sweating, ideally through specific, vigorous pranayama practices can release large amounts of toxin. At Rama’s Rooted Tree, I teach specific techniques to purify and heal body, mind, and spirit. When sweating, avoid rubbing back onto body until you have reached a state of ideal purity and balance. Working with an experienced master who can teach you how to reach this state is key. Often we think we are eating the right foods or having the best habits but we are not informed enough to make the wisest decisions. At the bare minimum, do the best you can with what you have, know, and afford.
- Pranayama is a wonderful tool, when the student is advanced enough, to awaken subtle aspects of him or herself and bring about a transformation and purification from within that is constant and longer lasting (eventually permanent when mastered). You can tap into hidden dimensions of consciousness and to a universal energy reservoir unavailable to most. A powerful regenerative and healing effect in unleashed within your consciousness and consequently your body and mind. Tension, pain, worry, stress, and disease will slowly dissolve as you advance in breathing and other practices we teach at Rama’s Rooted Tree. However, it takes know-how, practice, consistency, and perseverance.
- Avoid foods high in calories but low in nutrition. If you feed yourself the right foods, you avoid the need to detox altogether. Shift to a frugivore diet that is ideal for the human body. This includes organic fruits, vegetables (especially cruciferous like kale, radish, broccoli, etc.), nuts, seeds, sprouts, roots, legumes. Cruciferous vegetables are keys, as they possess a number of powerful phytochemicals that talk to your genes the right way and boost liver detoxification, enhance brain function, and reduce stress, inflammation, and disease. Other great foods to help your liver are daikon radish, millet, and cauliflower.
- Avoid eating after sundown and before sunrise, where bodily processes slow down and our body would rather rest and recover rather than digest, in particular, heavy and dense foods filled with toxic chemicals. In the morning, avoid eating out of habit, but instead eat when you are truly hungry. As we reconnect with our body, we can become more in tune with its needs and wants, rather than our own conditioned desires, addictions, or desires.
- Avoid exposure to mineral oil, a crude oil derivative, used in many of our foods, drugs, and cosmetics and accumulates in our bodies over time. Its accumulation is highest in our fat deposits, liver, and spleen. It is a primary contributor to a type of inflammatory and necrotic process called mineral oil induced lipogranuloma (associated with fatty tissue within our bodies). Children may be more at risk due to higher consumption of foods like confectionary products and their inability to detoxify as efficiently. Keep an eye out, as well, for moisturizing creams with mineral oil that may cause cancer. Instead, consider coconut oil as a far superior option for body care.
- Depending on your diet, you will want to consider giving your body a weekly break to rest, recover, and detoxify. To do this, you can fast once a week, whether that means drinking just water, freshly prepared juices, or eating organic simple fruits and vegetables for a day. Alternatively, you can do a juice fast (cold-pressed, fresh juices) for 3-5 days once a month. If you keep adding toxic, hard to digest, inflammatory, or cancer-causing foods into your body daily, then eventually you will feel the results of your actions. The more you drive yourself in the direction of balance, harmony, and health, the more you will remain exempt from disease processes. It is 100% under your control, except for rare circumstances.
- Reconnect with nature. The soothing sound and the marvels to behold in nature have an extremely powerful effect on your consciousness and can heal and purify both mind and body. Protect and preserve nature. Consider your actions carefully and make sure that you are not harming another being whether directly or indirectly.
- Improve your ethics by learning how to relate to yourself, others, and the world as a whole. Yoga is a great source to begin by learning and mastering the first and second limbs called Yama and Niyama. The is no greater purification process than mastering how to live in harmony with nature and others, respecting, loving, and showing compassion for all beings.
- Increase your intake of cleansing spices.
- Turmeric, which has anti-bacterial, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties. In addition, turmeric detoxifies the liver and cleanses the blood.
- Ginger also possesses anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-cancer properties
- Combine 2 apples, 2 oranges, 1 lemon, and 2-inches of both ginger and turmeric roots for a fantastic and refreshing blend with anti-aging and immune boosting effects (for more information, please read my blog post, “Anti-aging Turmeric and Ginger Elixir.”
- Garlic Note, however, that garlic has strong stimulatory properties (increase rajas) and thus should be limited if you are serious about mastering concentration and meditation. Your mind will be more prone to agitation and confusion.
- Cardamom is a powerful antioxidant capable of eradicating 99% of free radicals in a recent study. Cardamom also has anti-cancer properties and is excellent for your digestive and respiratory systems
- Cinnamon, as studies have demonstrated, possess antioxidant and anti-microbial properties.
- Clove is packed with potent bioactive phytochemicals with antioxidant and detox properties. Our cells also adapt to these phytochemicals and enhance their ability to deal with and filter out foreign, toxic substances.
- Cilantro leaves are rich in many important vitamins and minerals and a great component to add to your diet to boost liver detox. Its principal compound, linalool, increases the metabolic activity of liver CYP enzymes that are important for the breakdown of potentially toxic substances. Lastly, cilantro improves digestion and relieves an upset stomach.
- Saffron is another cleansing spice that can, similar to cilantro and kale, boost liver enzyme function to enhance the detoxification process. It also possesses anti-aging, antioxidant, anti-cancer, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cumin is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. It possesses a large ratio of iron. Cumin is an excellent antiseptic, antifungal, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, and laxative. This could be the perfect example of a cleansing spice. Note how all the spices we have discussed seem to neutralize or prevent disease conditions we all want to avoid. Why can we not integrate more healing foods and herbs into our diet then?
- Chili pepper, with bioactive alkaloid compounds called capsaicinoids that are useful in skin preparations and topical pain relief. Chili is also able to reduce oxidative stress to slow the aging of cells.
- Fennel is a very rich source of vitamin C, a known antioxidant.
BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR FUTURE BLOG POSTS AND YOUTUBE VIDEOS WITH RECIPES TO INTEGRATE THESE SPICES INTO MEALS, JUICES, AND SMOOTHIES INTO YOUR DIET.